About the role
Balfour Beatty Power T&D (Scotland) are an industry renowned Contractor in the Power Sector. We specialise in the design and build of OHL, Cabling and Substation projects throughout Scotland. The Power Sector is currently one of the most exciting industries to be in. Driven by the UKs commitment to hit carbon zero by 2050, the demand to transition to a heavier reliance on electricity requires a rapid expansion of the current UK Power Networks, which in turn provides us with a clear foresight of opportunities for the next 10-20 years.
Our projects are more than just your opportunity to make your mark; theyre an opportunity to stretch, test and develop your expertise. Join our Power Commercial team as a Senior Quantity Surveyor and you’ll deliver complex work that really matters to our business and become involved in some of the biggest infrastructure projects in the industry.
Purpose of the role:
- Collate costs in relation to infrastructure projects with experience of identifying commercial risks and opportunities in respect of their works
- Deliver varied commercial duties including responsibility for procuring and managing supply chain
- Optimise commercial performance through diligent cost control and value for money opportunities, whilst achieving the required standards and quality for our customers
- Create and maintain commercial relationships to both internal and external stakeholders
- Contract administration with both client and subcontractors
- Provide support and adherence for the Gated Business Lifecycle process.
- Proactively drive career and personal development, including professional certification
What you’ll be doing
As a Senior Quantity Surveyor, you will have the following accountabilities:
- Good knowledge of the Companys Group Minimum Commercial Expectations and promotes use and adherence, including other governance requirements in line with the Gated Business Lifecycle process
- Collate cost and value information supporting the cost value reconciliation (CVR) process
- Analyse the tender budget in line with actual cost
- Complete the measurement of works and agreements with clients
- Identifying and value change
- Develop awareness of different programme formats
- Subcontractor account management variation and payments
- Collect information required to specify procurement requirements
- Record and document information including registration of interest
- Understand the steps / documentation required
- Assist with subcontract procurement process
Who we’re looking for
The following qualities/experience are desirable:
- An organised, innovative and creative Senior Quantity Surveyor with knowledge and experience of working on Projects
- Experience of collating costs and maximising value
- Experience of working as a QS, including the need to support with financial and commercial control within a project
- Experience of procuring and managing supply chain
- Maintain a Personal Development Plan
- Working towards professional accreditation
- Support development of others around you
- Experience of working as part of a team
- Demonstration of working to deadlines, working efficiently and to a high standard
- Interest in infrastructure projects
- Demonstration of resilience and determination to succeed
- BSc in Quantity Surveying or equivalent level of education or experience
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver some of the UKs most ambitious, exciting and meaningful projects; developing, building and maintaining the vital infrastructure that supports national economies and strengthens communities.
Why join us?
As if contributing to and supporting work that makes life better for millions wasnt rewarding enough, we offer a full range of benefits too. You’ll have the freedom to shape the package thats right for you and your life. Here are some of our key benefits:
– Smart working, giving you more flexibility such as staggered start and finish times, with up to 40% remote working, where roles allow.
– 25 days paid annual leave (pro rata)
– Family friendly policies which include 28 weeks full pay for maternity/adoption leave and four weeks full pay for paternity/partners leave
– Pension, share incentive plan, volunteering leave, recognition schemes and much more
Balfour Beattys Power Transmission & Distribution teams work with regional, national and international electricity network owners and operators to provide technical engineering solutions across the full spectrum of the electricity grid, including overhead lines, cabling, substations and distribution networks.
From scoping and feasibility, to design, construction and on-going maintenance, our in-house experts, flexible resources and industry-leading innovations support customers in the development of some of the UKs most ambitious power transmission and distribution projects.
Diversity and inclusion
At Balfour Beatty we believe that diversity and inclusion are essential components of any successful, happy workplace. Through our Value Everyone Diversity and Inclusion Strategy and Action Plan, we are growing our diverse workforce and developing our inclusive culture where everyone is able to thrive and reach their full potential, regardless of their identity or background. To find out how we are making this a reality,
We are a Gold Award holder in the Ministry of Defence ‘Employer Recognition Scheme’ and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
As a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to working with people who have disabilities and long-term health conditions to remove barriers for them in obtaining employment. We are also committed to offering applicants with a disability an interview if they meet the minimum requirements for the role.
We are looking to continually improve our resourcing process and ensure that it is fair and inclusive for all. If you have any feedback on the process.