Long term freelance admin/technical clerk required to support local council in Haddington
My client are seeking a dedicated and skilled Administrative Assistant/Technical Clerk to join their team. As a Technical Clerk, you will provide essential technical support to Road Services, which serves as the Roads Authority for East Lothian. This role involves a range of responsibilities, including document management, technical documentation creation, data processing, and administrative support.
- Assist Road Services staff in managing and controlling technical documents and information.
- Create technical documentation, drawings (digital and paper), work instructions, and inspection sheets.
- Receive and process relevant documentation from internal and external organizations, suppliers, and the public.
- Receive, sort, and process incoming and outgoing mail.
- Input, update, and maintain information using various systems such as databases, spreadsheets, and filing systems to ensure efficient document retrieval.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues in Roads Services and other departments.
- Attend meetings with other services, external bodies, and community representatives.
- Assist with general inquiries from elected members, business organizations, the public, and internal/external partners, adhering to council policies and service standards.
- Compile standard statistical and financial information, performing simple calculations as required.
- Support Road Services by undertaking clerical duties and word processing tasks to produce correspondence, reports, forms, minutes, procedures, presentation materials, and other requested items.
- Process authorized orders for goods or services, assist with stock management, and administer cash payments.
Essential Requirements: Qualifications/Experience:
- Educated to ‘Higher’ level, NC, or SVQ level 2 in English, or equivalent knowledge and skills gained through relevant experience.
Team Responsibilities: As part of the Roads/Road Works Authority, Road Services has a statutory duty to comply with various acts and regulations related to road infrastructure. The Technical Clerk will be involved in supporting the service to meet its statutory obligations by assisting in recording and monitoring information on road openings, reinstatements, inspections, and permits throughout East Lothian. Administrative and clerical support within the Road Services team is also an integral part of this role.
- Experience creating tracking/monitoring spreadsheets. Proficiency in using CAD/GIS software.
- Experience in local government and/or knowledge of local government working practices. Experience in asset management.
- Essential: Strong administrative skills. Customer-focused service delivery. Proficiency in Microsoft Office. Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Desirable: Working knowledge of roadworks legislation and codes of practice and/or GIS & CAD